Just in case you had not noticed that it is only 17 days to go…….?!
Decorating a Gingerbread House at my daughter’s house……my little 3 year old grand- daughter was just loving it and (amazingly) lots of candies made it onto the house & not into her tummy!
“It is such fun to help Mummy decorate the house even if she said not I was not allowed to eat anymore candy….I had to stick it onto the house! My Nanna said I did a good job”
And, yes, I know this is a SEWING MACHINE blog, so I thought I would add pics of the Advent calendar that I have just finished making and (indeed) did manage to deliver to my little ones by 1st December for goodies in the first pocket!
This was a quilting panel I bought a few years ago just waiting for when my little ones would be old enough to appreciate the little gifts in the pocket for each day leading up to Christmas. And no, I did not make the little gifts that went into the pockets! Are you kidding me?…..I barely managed to get the calendar done in time! No, it was the $store for little candies & toddler gifts. Another year, another time, I might be more inspired to make items like felt finger puppets or dolly clothing. However, this year was not the year for that level of productivity! Alas.
I cut the tree shape from the panel….easy – just follow the lines….not rocket science. Then the rows of pockets. I pressed the raw edges under & pinned in place onto the tree. I decided to sandwich the quilt first before doing any sewing of the pockets. This way, when I sewed the pockets in position, it was also part of the quilting. Labour & time saving was my goal!
I did a wide zig-zag all around the tree to hold it in place on the red background fabric and then pressed gold fusible bias tape (Clover) all around the edge of the tree. This covered over the raw edge of the fabric & zig-zag basting. I used gold metallic thread to stitch a serpentine stitch over the gold tape. No pins necessary as the fusible backing on the tape & my trusty Olisio iron took care of that. All this stitching was also part of the quilting as it went through all layers.
Next I threaded up with red thread and quilted the background with echo quilting of the tree shape. I used the IAF or integrated Adjustable Feed foot and quilting guide bar on the EL740 to do this quilting.
Lastly, I trimmed the edges straight and instead of adding a traditional binding, I couched 2 strands of bottle green yarn against the cut edge of the quilt sandwich. I used a zig-zag stitch and went twice around the edges so there were actually 4 strands of yarn “sealing” & covering my raw edge. If I had used a thicker yarn, I would maybe not have needed to sew around twice. But I wanted it to look properly covered and that medium weight yearn was all I had at home to complete the project…….where there is a will, there is a way!