OK….do you remember the Challenge I put out on this blog a few months back asking you to make cosmetic bags/purses that we can fill with toiletries to give to various charities this Christmas?
Please refer to blog posts on 18th Feb; 9th March; 27th March -all this year 2013. Scroll down the archives on the right hand side of the home page on this blog to find these posts.
The idea is to also collect lots of those little shampoos, soaps, toothbrushes, toothpastes, etc that we get from hotels on our travels or from our dentist……or wherever. Just unused, sealed goodies that will be very useful to folk who are needing a little bit of cheer & assistance in their lives – packed into cosmetic purses sewed by our loyal ELNA customers on their ELNA sewing machines.
Here is an update:
- I am working on prizes for this Challenge: we talked about prizes for the person who makes the most number of little purses and another for the favourite bag decided by popular vote. I will be taking pics of the bags as they come in & will post these so you may vote for your favourite in due course.
- PLEASE TRY TO GET ALL YOUR DONATIONS OF BAGS & TOILETRIES TO YOUR DEALER/ME BY SEPTEMBER 30TH LATEST.
- If all goes according to plan, I will post the pics on this blog during October for you to vote for your favourite one.
- Distribution of bags to various charities will be done in late November/Dec- in time for Christmas.
- I am THRILLED to tell you that the customers at LANGLEY VACUUM & SEWING quite overwhelmed me when I visited the store to do an event recently! They presented me with lots of cosmetic bags SEWN ON THEIR JANOME MACHINES!!! + boxes & bags of toiletries to put into the cosmetic bags. One lady even stopped at a local hotel & asked if they would be prepared to donate some shampoos etc and so her 4 bags came already packed with goodies! Thank you, Mickey. Here are some pic’s of what I brought back to the office & sorted. There were zipper bags; clicker bags; Some were embroidered, some were embellished with decorative stitches, some were lined with plastic. Langley Vacuum & Sewing ladies ….you did real good -THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
WONDERFUL! I hope this inspires those of you who would like to join in with this charity sewing project. Remember that you can drop any cosmetic purses and toiletries off at any of our ELNA CANADA dealers. Please just be sure that you put your name & contact details in with your donation so that you can be eligible for our Challenge prizes. A GOOD IDEA WOULD BE TO WRITE YOUR NAME , CONTACT INFO IN CASE YOU WIN A PRIZE! + YOUR LOCAL ELNA DEALER.
Please also be sure that your dealer is aware of this project and knows they need to contact me (LIZ) at the Vancouver office to arrange to get the donations together for packing & distribution to applicable charities. For example, these Langley ladies would like their bags to go to Langley Women’s shelter(s) so we are currently compiling a list & depending on how many we collect together, they may go to more than one place. Other stores may choose to have their bags delivered to a different charity in their area. But our aim is to have enough gathered together to make deliveries viable & worthwhile for each charity selected. SO….the more the merrier!! The plan is to do this in time for Christmas 2013.