Have you forgotten that you have this tool in your foot box?? Perhaps? perhaps not?
The RIBBON/SEQUIN FOOT is available for 7mm (Part# 200332000) and 9mm machines – ie THE EL730 & EL760 (Part # 202090009). This foot is VERY handy when you wish to sew down ribbon or strings of sequins. With Grad coming up real soon, I thought it might be a great idea to remind folk out there who might be sewing up a storm that it is SO easy to add impact & bling with sequins to that special grad dress………or evening wear…..or bridesmaids dress……or Halloween costume………..or whatever you can dream up!
These tips come courtesy of the LOVE SEWING NEWSLETTER published by Denise Wild who is one of our Janome dealers in Toronto, Canada.
- Be sure that your sequins are all facing one direction and that your presser foot will travel in that same direction over the strand. Think of your sequins as shiny dominoes that have all fallen over in one direction.
- Do NOT use a ball point needle as this will not pierce the sequins cleanly. Use a sharp, new needle such as a Universal needle or Janome red tip needle. Needles will dull quickly when working with/sewing through sequins so do be sure to change your needle more often than you usually do – you do change needles regularly, right??!
- Use an invisible or monofilament thread in the needle as it is the sparkly sequins which you want to be the focus – not your stitching.
- If you think you might wobble a bit as you sew and leave a wiggly line of sequins (which may not be pretty), think ahead and mark your fabric first and sew along this marked line; OR attach the sequins with basting or pins. My preferred method would be to use Wonder Tape which is a great fusible tape that you just stick down, peel off the paper & then stick the string of sequins down on top of the sticky part of the tape. There are SO many uses for Wonder tape. The wonder tape washes away later so will not stay permanently. It is not like other fusibles which have to be ironed to activate the glue. You would not want to iron sequins(!) hence me suggesting this would be a good use for wonder tape.
- To attach the sequin trim, use a long zig-zag stitch to SLOWLY sew down the center of your trim. If the trim is over 1/2 inch wide, secure it with a line of stitching on each edge of the trim.
- Ribbons & braids may be applied to projects in exactly the same way as the sequin trim in the pics below.
- Sequin trim is feeding through the guide & goes under the foot to be sewed down with invisible thread and a zig-zag stitch.