Did you get a pack of needles with your machine and notice a needle with a purple tip?? And not know what it was for? These purple tip needles have been around for a little while. They are now available in 5 needle blister packs as in the pic above. Ask for them at your local ELNA dealer.
Let me enlighten you about what these needles are to be used for:
- They are for ALL ELNA models. Part # 202122001 for the blister pack of 5 needles.
- They are specifically designed to effectively prevent skipped stitches when you are sewing with stretch fabrics; multiple layers of fabric eg quilts; and when sewing across bulky seams eg at a hemline.
- I have been asked if these are ball point needles? Yes, they are slight ball point tips. They are able to pierce thick layers, tightly woven fabrics or “difficult” stretch fabrics with ease.
- I have personally used these needles with GREAT success when machine quilting on batik fabrics (which is notoriously tightly woven cotton fabric) – so I am sure that JANOME PURPLE TIP NEEDLES are a very close relative of the microtex needle.
- I LOVE sewing with knit fabrics – almost all the garments I make are done using knit fabrics. Some of these fabrics present no issues and “behave” beautifully whether I am using my ELNA serger for 4 thread seams or my EL444 SERGER for coverhem ; OR when sewing on my ELNA sewing machine – eg top stitching etc. HOWEVER, I have from time to time encountered some knit fabrics which turn out to be a bit of a nightmare to sew. Whether I used my serger or sewed on my sewing machine, I kept getting skipped stitches……..like badly. It nearly drove me crazy …………….until the arrival of the JANOME PURPLE TIP NEEDLE that is. Now I have NO MORE issues with skipped stitches. It would be an understatement to say that I am a happy girl now because I know that even troublesome fabrics can be tamed with the correct tools!!
- Just recently at the Vancouver Sewing Show in Abbotsford, we had a customer come to the booth with a little piece of fabric that she was using to make dance costumes. She was “tearing her hair out” as nothing she tried would stop the skipped stitches. The fabric was a soft knit with that sort of plasticized, “rubbery” surface….. just perfect for dance costumes but a very tricky fabric if you have tried to sew on this before. We sent her away to try the JANOME Purple tip needles and …..the next day she came back with a smile on her face and a sample sewn on the same fabric with NO skipping at all. …….. Success!