The first ELNA 444 COVERHEM accessory I would like to focus on is the HEMMING GUIDE PART # 795839104. There are 2 different hemming guides. I prefer this one which is the more deluxe version. It will assist you to make perfectly even & neat coverhems from 5/8 – 1 3/4 inches wide. (or 1.5 – 4.5cm if you are metric when it comes to your sewing room)
You will be stitching with the right side of the fabric up with the hem turned up underneath. This makes it hard to see exactly where the hem raw edge is underneath. However, using this hemming guide, it becomes SO much easier to sew straight and evenly covering the edge of the hem underneath as you do so.
WATCH THIS VIDEO ON THE HEMMING GUIDE . Please note that the Janome Hemming Guide is the same attachment we sue on the EL444.
HINTS & TIPS FOR USING THIS HEMMING GUIDE:
- Fold up the desired hem & measure for accuracy.
- Press firmly to form a crease on the fold
- If necessary, apply stay tape to the inside of the hem fold. I recommend this for all soft or light weight knit fabrics to prevent “tunneling” and puckering of the coverhem. if you use stay tape, you will be happy with your professional and flat hems.
- Attach the hemming guide to the EL444 as per instructions on the blister pack of this accessory.
- First line up the raw edge of the hem turn-up with the LEFT needle. Pin or mark ahead of time on top of the fabric to make it easier to see where this edge is.
- Lower the needles into the folded hem line.
- Adjust the seam/hem guide (white screws) to line the hemming guide up with the folded pressed edge of the hem. Tighten the screws
- Position the white hem sliding guide (UNDERNEATH) to hold the folded hem turn-up in place.
- Position the metal hem smoother (ON TOP) over the folded hem edge to keep this in psoition as well.
- Sew the coverhem keeping the hem fold up against the guide.
You will be amazed at how simple it is to create professional coverhems with the HEMMING GUIDE. See your local ELNA dealer TODAY to order your hemming guide.