FUN “ICE-CREAM” SUMMER COLOUR PROJECT IDEA: EYEGLASS CASE
I used the fabric that I embellished with decorative stitching on the EL740 EXCELLENCE to make a zippered purse, a key fob and an eyeglass case. I still have half of this decorated fabric left! ………….Yes, more fun things I can create with it.
- After doing all the dec. stitching, tear away some of the stabilizer behind the fabric if necessary.
- Then sandwich with backing fabric. I used fabric adhesive spray.
- Then I straight stitched between each dec. stitch row + did a little free motion stippling in the more open areas. This is the quilting.
- Then I was ready to use the sandwich for whatever took my fancy: wall hanging? eye glass case? book cover? purse? tote bag? ……….. lots of things!
HOW TO MAKE THE EYE GLASS CASE:
EYE GLASS CASE – JUST THE THING FOR SUNGLASSES!!!
- Simply cut one section of fabric to be a suitable size for your eye glasses/ sunglasses when it is folded in half lengthwise. Use a rotary cutter and ruler to get crisp, neat edges.
- Select a yarn or cord in suitable colours and with enough thickness to cover the edges all around this sandwich. I used 2 different shades of purple/lilac yarn and twisted them as I stitched. This is essentially couching but it is done flush up against the cut edge of the fabric:
- Use an Elna beading foot or an ELNA satin stitch foot; select the zig-zag stitch (stitch # 9 in the Utility menu) and adjust the SW to about 4 depending on the yarn thickness. Adjust the SL to between 2-4. The idea is to zig into the fabric to the LEFT of the yarn & then zag off the yarn/to the RIGHT of the yarn. This effectively covers and “seals” the raw edge as well as giving a funky, alternative edge treatment.
- Use a thread colour & type suitable for the fabric and yarn of your choosing. Wonderfil’s Invisafil is a good choice if you wish to see the yarn more than the zig-zag.
- At the corners, stop with the needle DOWN in the ZIG (left needle position of the zig-zag) and then turn the fabric to start the next side. Pull just very gently on the yarn: it will pull against the needle right at the corner & form a sharp corner turn.
- Do not pull the yarn too tightly as you sew or the edges will curl and you will not be happy with the result.
- When you get to the join on one of the sides, continue sewing past the starting “yarn tail” for about 1 inch. Then tie off/lock stitch. If your sewing machine does not have this feature, you WILL want to visit your local ELNA DEALER to see all the wonderful machines we have to offer that include this feature. I could not manage without this great feature.
- Trim the start & end tails of yarn away with your scissors.
- Fold the eye glass case in half with wrong sides together and pin with about 2 or 3 pins so that the edges are evenly together.
- Select the triple straight stitch (in the utility menu of the EL740 EXCELLENCE stitch #5). Sew down the long side and across the short side. 3rd side is the fold and 4th side is the top opening for the glasses.
- Voila! pop your sunglasses into their new case…………..but hopefully you will not leave them there for long: go out in the sun this weekend and have fun!!