PRACTICAL SEWING ACCESSORY PURSE
Designed and made by Liz Thompson, Elna Educator
- 1 piece of 100% cotton fabric 15 x 11 inches for outside of bag: I used plain colour but a subtle print will also work.
- 1 piece of 100% cotton fabric 15 x 11 inches for bag lining. I used same fabric.
- 1 piece thin batting (80/20 Hobbs Heirloom or similar) 15 x 11 inches.
- 1 piece cotton print fabric 18 x 11 inches for pockets inside bag. I used a sewing notion print but it does not have to be this. You will get 2 out of a FQ.
- Small scrap of same or similar novelty print for appliqué heart on outside of bag (4 inch square)
- 12 inch nylon zipper in colour to match bag outside fabric or contrast colour to match chosen print.
- Elna Feet required: Regular sewing foot A , satin stitch foot F, Free motion foot, 3 way cording foot H, 1/4 inch foot O, (zipper foot not required).
- 100% cotton sewing thread to blend with bag colours
- Rayon Embroidery thread for embellishment.
- Take the pocket fabric for the inside of the bag, fold in half right sides together and pin along the raw edge. Sew a ¼ inch seam using the ¼ inch quilting foot and cotton thread in top & bobbin.
- Flip right sides out and press. The join may be along one edge or you can have it lying somewhere on the inside of the pockets.
- Attach the 3 way cording foot and insert 3 cords into the foot. Thread up the machine with a suitable cotton or rayon sewing thread.
- Select a suitable decorative stitch and stitch along both folded edges of the pocket section. The raw edges will be open on both sides.
- Fold the lining fabric in half and mark the half way mark. Position the pockets on top of the lining, making sure the half way mark of both lining & pockets matches up.
- Using cotton thread and the regular sewing foot, sew the pockets in place through the lining: I used 2 rows of stitching which gave me 3 pockets on each side of the bag.
- Set this aside for the moment.
- Using the heart template provided, cut one heart shape from your novelty fabric. You may use a little spray adhesive, appliqué paper or even a glue stick to adhere the appliqué to the outside of the purse. Alternatively, you may pin it instead of using glue. Select the heart satin stitch or approriate applique sticth and test stitch a little with a suitable rayon embroidery thread in the needle. Adjust SL & SW to get the desired sticth size. Stitch all the way around the appliqué making sure to use the tie-off feature and needle up/down at the point & “cleavage” of the heart.
- Using the alphabet program to program & store “I love sewing/quilting” into the memory of the machine. Stitch this out in the center of the heart if desired.
- Sandwich the batting onto the back of the purse outside fabric (Use fabric adhesive spray rather than pins. Attach the free motion foot to the machine and thread up with a cotton thread similar to the background fabric. Drop the feed dogs & free motion all over the purse & on the outside of the hearts. Press if necessary.
- Layer the lining onto the back of the free-motioned outside with adhesive spray glue.
- Attach the zipper with Liz’s easy zipper application using the regular foot on the machine (No zipper foot needed!). End off the raw edge under the zipper with a zig-zag if necessary.
- OPEN the zipper at least half way. Fold the purse right sides together and pin down both sides. Using the regular sewing foot and cotton thread. Sew the 2 sides closed and neaten with a zig-zag seam finish.
- Turn purse out to the right side. You have a very handy little tote for all those feet & quilting accessories.
VARIATION: Choose different lettering and/or appliqué shapes and make personalized cosmetic purses as gifts for friends.